The Rise & Shine Parent Leadership Program supports parents impacted by ACS in becoming powerful leaders to make change. During the 2022 Rise & Shine graduation in June, we celebrated six graduating parents who shared their stories, poems and experiences in the program. We are excited to continue sharing their writing and reflections about the Rise & Shine Program!
On this webpage, you can:
- Download the Rise & Shine 2022 Program Report.
- Watch the 2022 Rise & Shine graduation on Vimeo or YouTube.
- Read “Where I’m From” poems by 2022 Rise & Shine graduates.
- Read Rise & Shine graduate Kimberly Tyre’s reflection about the buddy system of parent peer support.
- Access save-the-date information for a Rise & Shine Open House to learn how to apply for our 2023 cohort!
Rise & Shine 2022 Program Report
“Where I’m From” Poems by 2022 Rise & Shine Graduates
During the Rise & Shine writing workshop series, parents develop creative writing pieces, including poetry related to our program themes and topics. One of the themes we explore throughout the Rise & Shine Program is community. This year during a Rise & Shine icebreaker activity, parents wrote their own “Where I’m From” poems inspired by the poem “Where I’m From” by George Ella Lyon.
Rise & Shine Graduation 2022
The Rise & Shine Buddy System: ‘Everyone needs a good buddy!’
>> Read a reflection by 2022 Rise & Shine graduate Kimberly Tyre about the value of the buddy system of parent peer support.
Save the Date: Rise & Shine Open Houses
Rise invites NYC parents impacted by ACS to join us for an open house information session this fall to learn about the Rise & Shine Program and how to apply to the 2023 cohort.
Open houses will be held on the following dates/times:
- Sept. 20, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (in person)
- Sept. 21, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Oct. 18, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (in person)
- Oct. 20, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Nov. 15, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Nov. 17, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (TBD)
Please save the date for an open house! More information and registration details will be shared soon!