Rise is now recruiting for our Rise & Shine Parent Leadership Program, February-June 2023!
Are you a parent in NYC?
Have you been impacted by ACS, the foster system or preventive services?
Interested in becoming a voice for your community?
You know your community’s strengths and challenges better than anyone else.
Apply for Rise & Shine!
What is the Rise & Shine Parent Leadership Program?
Parents impacted by ACS become powerful leaders to make change.
Through Rise & Shine, you can:
- Build a strong foundation to become a leader in your community;
- Strengthen your writing and public speaking skills;
- Connect with Rise staff, parent leaders and community organizers for up to 10 hours of additional interactive learning;
- Reflect on experiences and build a peer-to-peer network; and,
- Engage with expert speakers on child welfare history and law, community organizing, legislative advocacy, domestic violence, trauma and self-care.
- Program runs 18 weeks and meets for three hours, three times per week.
- Certificate and stipend are provided upon program completion.
- The Rise & Shine Leadership Program only accepts NYC parents.
Attend an Open House Information Session
Rise invites NYC parents impacted by ACS to join us for an open house information session this fall to learn about the Rise & Shine Program and how to apply to the 2023 cohort. Virtual sessions will be held via Zoom and in-person events will take place at the Rise office in Manhattan. We welcome you to sign up for more than one open house.
Open houses will be held on the following dates/times:
- Sept. 20, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (in person)
- Sept. 21, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Oct. 18, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (in person)
- Oct. 20, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Nov. 15, 5:00-7:00 pm (virtual)
- Nov. 17, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (in person)
- Dec. 6, 10:00 am-2:00 pm (in person, drop in for an hour)
- Dec. 8, 10:00 am-2:00 pm (in person, drop in for an hour)
- Dec. 14, 10:00 am-2:00 pm (in person, drop in for an hour)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Read our FAQ for answers to the following questions about Rise & Shine 2023:
- Who is eligible to apply for Rise & Shine?
- What are some of the core components of the Rise & Shine Program?
- What is the purpose of the program? What will it prepare me to do?
- I am already a leader in my community. Should I apply and what can I get out of the program?
- How long is the program?
- Will the 2023 program take place in person and/or online?
- What is the policy related to COVID-19 and vaccination?
- What is the application process?
- Is child care provided to Rise & Shine participants?
- If I’m not accepted into the program this year or it isn’t a fit for me at this time, what other opportunities are available to me at Rise?
- Can this program help me with getting my children back or navigating an open case?
- How is Rise & Shine funded?
Apply to Rise & Shine 2023
>> Complete the online application. Update: Rise is no longer accepting applications for Rise & Shine 2023.
We strongly encourage interested parents to attend an open house information session before completing the application.
Questions? Email Teresa Bachiller, Rise & Shine Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.