Stories for Parents Under Stress
November 11, 2019 by
- Act Now, Pay Later – When my son entered foster care, I couldn’t think, plan, or stay calm.
by Jeanette Vega
- Home Safe Home – I’m looking for supportive housing for my son and me.
by Sara Werner
- Mommy Time – I had to change for my children’s sake.
by Melissa Landrau
- Breaking the Chain (English and Spanish) – Building a calm, safe home for my son.
by Evelyn Salazar
- Sick and Tired – I needed respite and support but instead I lost my son.
by Carla Burks
- Child Left Behind – My son fell apart in a stressful school environment.
by Piazadora Footman
- Trapped – I know what my son and I need but I can’t afford it.
by Jasmin Gonzalez
- When Stress Is Toxic – Bringing the science of child development into child welfare.
by Jeanette Vega with Dominique Arrington and Sharkkarah Harrison
- Do Over – Changing as a parent takes courage and practice.
by Youshell Williams
- Rise TIPS: The Challenge of Change Under Stress
Includes tools for handling toxic stress and trauma; coaching and support to reduce stress while making life changes and dealing with the child welfare system; and, tips for finding service providers where you feel safe.
- Rise TIPS: Fight or Flight
Explains trauma and the pain that can come up in visits – and how you can cope.
- Healing Ourselves, Healing Our Children
Stories about parenting by parents affected by the child welfare system. Includes information about using this booklet in parenting classes and support groups.