Handling an Investigation
Issues, Guides and Series
- Fighting for Our Rights: Series about parents’ legal rights and representation, as well as related legislation to protect families
- Surveillance Isn’t Safety: Series that exposes the harm of punishing parents instead of addressing the root causes of child welfare involvement, provides information that parents can use to advocate for their families and communities and highlights efforts to target community conditions instead of families.
- Facing an Investigation: This issue offers guidance from parents and professionals on handling an investigation.
- ‘It’s OK to Need Support’: A parent-to-parent guide to family support services
- Stepping Into Fatherhood: A parent-to-parent guide for fathers
- Out in Front: When my family was investigated, I was terrified but I took charge
By Samantha Ruiz
Interviews and Opinion
- What You Should Know About Child Safety Conferences
By Bevanjae Kelley
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Parenting While Poor
By Sharkkarah Harrison
- How Early Legal Representation Can Protect Families
By Careena Farmer, Melissa Landrau, Sara Werner and Keyna Franklin
- Know Your Rights During an Investigation (Videos)
Nancy Fortunado, Rise Senior Parent Leader and lawyers from Brooklyn Defenders Services and The Bronx Defenders provide information for parents about your rights during a child welfare investigation.
Part 1: Information on the difference between abuse and neglect
Part 2: Information about the investigation process, tips, and your rights